Friday, August 3, 2018

A LESSON FROM AN 84-YEAR-OLD AVID HUNTER

A LESSON FROM AN 84-YEAR-OLD AVID HUNTER
One thing that I am learning is that many in the older generation of hunters walk around with blinders on when it comes to Sunday hunting.  I am referring to people in my age bracket, 50 and older.  For some unknown reason, as a whole, they seem to make the deliberate decision to remain uneducated, uninformed, and ill-tempered on the subject.  Something of which I am completely baffled by.  I just can’t understand why giving sportsmen and women more time to participate in the act of hunting is such an off-putting issue just because of the day in the week - Sunday.
But there may be hope. After presenting to the Schuylkill County Sportsmen Association an 84-year-old man approached me.  He extended his hand for me to shake and said; "Good luck with this...I need Sunday hunting. I want to hunt, but no one has time during the week to take me, and I can't hunt alone. We need more time."
His statement did not fully set in until I was home and talking to my wife about how the presentation went.  When I relayed the story to her, she responded by asking [maybe it was more of an observation] “So if an 84-year-old man gets it.  What is the problem with others?”
My only response, “I don’t know.”
Harold Daub
Executive Director, Hunters United for Sunday Hunting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

THE STEELE DEAL TESTIMONY - HB2106, HB2107, HB2108

  April 9, 2024.  Testimony to Pennsylvania House Game and Fisheries Committee for Informational Meeting on HB 2106 , HB 2107 , HB 2108 . L...